Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
gnat69
gnat69 should edit this Edit

xBucks: 0 [Check]
Default Tim Hortons in Afganistan

Tim Hortons heads to Afghanistan base

Wed, March 8, 2006

By DANIEL NOLAN, CP

HAMILTON -- The slogan, "You've always got time for Tim Hortons," now applies to soldiers in Afghanistan.

After weeks of persistent requests, Canadian soldiers got good news yesterday with word a Tim Hortons store will open soon in Kandahar.

Requests from soldiers were relayed to Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff, who eventually got the message passed to the company and to Ron Joyce, who co-founded the famous chain in Hamilton in 1964 with NHL hockey player Tim Horton.

No timeline has been set, but Joyce, who retired and sold his share of the company years ago, says he's been told it will happen "shortly."

While Tim Hortons did not confirm the report, company officials told a reporter they are happy to be a part of the initiative.

"They are doing it," Joyce said. "The management team in Oakville has got it in hand and it's going to happen. They've just got to get the pieces together."

The store is expected to be housed in a trailer with takeout windows, and deliveries will be made to the Canadian base in Kandahar by military transport. Staffing plans are to be determined.

Retired Maj-Gen. Cam Ross said opening the Tim Hortons isn't trivial and it should boost troops' spirits.

"I can definitely tell you Tim Hortons does influence positively (on the) morale of deployed troops," he said. "It connects with Canada. How much more Canadian can you get than roll up the rim or Tim Hortons?" he said.

Ross spent two years in the Middle East as a UN force commander and said he used Tim Hortons products to make people feel at home.

"I did a lot of entertaining in my home (with my wife) in Damascus and guess what, we served Tim Hortons coffee, which was available to us to purchase through the Canadian contingent.

"Whether there's an actual Tim Hortons (store) or not, it does allow us to identify with home."