Popups or no popups? - X Nations

Go Back   X Nations > X Nations > General Webmaster Business and Discussions

Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Evil Chris
Evil Chris is drinking Heineken
Clone of myself

xBucks: 311,180
Send a message via ICQ to Evil Chris Send a message via AIM to Evil Chris Send a message via Skype™ to Evil Chris
Default Popups or no popups?

When you're choosing your linking code from an affiliate, do you opt to use the no popup option with a lower payout?

If you do, what circumstances make to do this? I know that it's almost a must for TGP gallery makers, but what else might make you choose to use a no pop option, or for that matter NOT use it??

Our Experience Payze
chris at payze.com | ICQ 342827
Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
jscott
jscott is travelling and not working

xBucks: 941
Send a message via ICQ to jscott

i usually choose the nopop linking code, only because i personally hate popups & also a lot of those regular popup linking codes wont stop with the popups, they use them excessively

i dont want my customers/surfers to hate me

more programs here
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
AbulletAway
AbulletAway should edit this
I Love Boobies!

xBucks: 1,651
Send a message via ICQ to AbulletAway

Usually if it's an option I will chose the no pop up option because I've had moronic TGP owners freak out that the tour has pop ups. I even emailed one back and told him to kiss my ass. Most tgp owners are like f'n Nazi's with all their BS rules. But, since enough of them have freaked out about it I always try to go non pop up. Though I have often thought of sending the tgp's a bill for the 5 dollars a sign up you lose with most sponsors for turning off the pop ups.
AbulletAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Gruntled
Gruntled is [Too Long]
not actually disgruntled.

xBucks: 2,887
Send a message via ICQ to Gruntled

I almost always opt for the linking code with no pop-ups. I hate when they get out of hand, and never buy anything that's advertised that way, and I don't want to do that to my surfers, even if I don't make as much.

I've been trying to decide if surfers remember sites that are clear of pop-ups and general bullshit, and return to them more. It would be a good experiment to find out.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:01 AM   #5
webgurl
webgurl should edit this

xBucks: 11,934
Send a message via ICQ to webgurl

we only offer no consoles for SD but our other program has consoles Cash4ten...

For me personally i use both
Old 06-05-2004, 04:47 AM   #6
monaro
monaro should edit this Edit

xBucks: 0 [Check]
Default Re: Popups or no popups?

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Chris
When you're choosing your linking code from an affiliate, do you opt to use the no popup option with a lower payout?

If you do, what circumstances make to do this? I know that it's almost a must for TGP gallery makers, but what else might make you choose to use a no pop option, or for that matter NOT use it??
I use both, but I can say that I have found more sales from popup tours rather than from no popups. I feel that it is due to this;

My content and sponsors link codes match each other.
To the surfer I might not be showing what the surfer wants and then after I have caught the first click (eg. say from a blind text link).
I have like 5 seconds or less for my surfer to continue to view my sponsors site. If they like the site and then they signup or bookmark as you all know and they come back to view it again.

If there is a popup or popunder "blur" then if and when they close the window they get to see something else. and that is where the sponsors take over.

Some sponsors share this blur, some offer a higher payout rate for it. The sponsor knows how valiable this blur is inside the short window of opportunity they have to catch the surfer then and there.

There is another reason why popups are required and I will share this understanding with you. A surfer that gets a popup tour and signed up straight away. (we get the signup. or rev share) There is a cookie delivered from say the sponsors sponsor (maybe another small blur got it there).. if you know what i mean. say his/her other site or something.

What happens here is that your surfer who signed up for you today, also very much likes more than you think and he signs up again on his next bookmark.
"Bingo I got another customer says monaro's sponsor! gee Mark is really doing well for me says monaro's sponsor!. I will contact him and see if he needs anything. says the sponsor"

Meanwhile we all work around making the net at clean at we can with no popups or popunders "blurs" and we remove the adds from our page. but wait we load free content.

Remember the 90's ? some of us remember. Well there is many surfers out there like the 90's and x that by 100's or even 1000's as they all are starting to trust using their cc cards to make a online payment.

Think really hard before sellecting a no popup tour is my point of view.!

We need to think like a surfer to become the surfer remember this my friends and you will be very happy.

sorry about the typos, i ran into overtime.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
jjjj
jjjj should edit this
Citizen X

xBucks: 20

Popups are boring for the most of the surfers
jjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
blazi
blazi should edit this
wanna go for a ride?

xBucks: 2,582

the odd pop-up here and there, but not often.
blazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
Panky
Panky is the Queen of Mean

xBucks: 31,486
Send a message via ICQ to Panky Send a message via AIM to Panky Send a message via Yahoo to Panky

As far as TGP / MGP is concerned, you can run into hassles linking to tours or sites with pops. Now whether or not this has an impact on a submitter, depends on where they are submitting to and where they are getting traffic from. Some sites don't produce squat for some people, so it becomes "not worth the hassle" to submit to them and their no pops rule. TGP / MGP is forever changing. Sites that once accepted pops are no longer accepting them and vice versa. This decision, and many others, seem to change weekly in the volitile TGP / MGP world.

Sponsors offer pops, affiliates continue to use them, because they sell. If they suddenly stopped producing or the numbers began to majorly drop over a period of time, then people take a step back and try and determine the cause.

The only issue I have with pops, is excessive use of pops. Nothing pisses me off more, and most likely surfers, than pop-up hell. Where a pop loads, you close it, and bingo... more and more pops keep loading.

The pops a sponsor offers is a consideration when choosing to sign on or not. Sponsors should have the option to choose no pop vs. pop to compliment different marketing methods. I prefer up to 3 pops and not pop-up hell. It might just be my personal pet peeve, but I'm not the only surfer who gets pissed at pops.

I personally always wondered though what the actual numbers are of conversions through pops compared to what they once were before pop blockers? Have savvy surfers also become a little more immune to pop ads? If they have, it's all that much harder to catch their attention.

For me personally, I ignore the majority of pops. Sometimes because I wasn't looking to buy and sometimes they just simply go unnoticed because the quick glance just didn't catch my attention. Other times, it's intentional ignore, because I don't want to lose focus on what I'm doing at the moment.
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote